Leg and food cramps describes a painful contracture of muscles in your legs and food, which can be complaint for many patients with kidney disease stage 4.
Stage 4 Kidney Disease and Leg and Foot Cramps
There are several causes which contributes to leg and food cramps in patients with kidney disease stage 4.
- potassium deficiency. Potassium is a mineral that the body needs to work normally, which help the body uses energy and build muscles and make the bone strong. Kidneys are important organ to balance the electrolytes in your body and they help regulate the potassium levels in your blood. When you are in kidney disease stage 4, potassium deficiency occurs and causes leg, food cramps.
- Kidney Damage, especially when on Dialysis. It is important to treat the underlying disease to relieve any cramping.
- medicine side effects. Some medications can produce muscle cramps in the legs or feet as a side effect. Diuretics are common medicines for Chronic Kidney Disease which, however, can cause cramping to occur. Take ACE inhibitors as an example, ACE inhibitors can cause potassium to build up in the body, which can lead to leg or foot cramps and achy joints, bones and muscles. Speak with your doctor if you experience foot or leg cramps as a side effect of your medication.
How to prevent leg and food cramps in patients with Kidney Disease?
Leg and food cramps preventions deal with the underlying causes. When the causes are reversed, it is easy to make a successful prevention.
- Potassium Balanced Diet. If you are suffering from potassium deficience, you are suggested to take a specific diet which should be based on your own conditions. As failed kidneys cannot remove excessive potassium in your blood, thereby, it is not right that the more potassium foods, the better. Leave your own conditions to us, and we are glad to find the food list for you (contact email email@example.com).
- Treating your underlying kidney disease. Failed kidneys are the root cause and treatments that can reverse the damage will be the foundation to prevent the muscle cramps.
- If you are taking any medicine not prescribed by a doctor, stop taking it. Talk to your doctor if you think you need to continue taking the medicine.
- Take a warm shower or bath to relax the muscle. A heating pad placed on the muscle can also help.
There are also other accidental triggers for leg and foot cramps in patients with Kidney Disease stage 4. If you still have not found the reason why you suffer from the symptom, leave a message below. We are here to help.Previous：Kidney Disease and Hydronephrosis