How to develop a kidney-friendly diet plan with Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease? What foods to eat and avoid with stage 4 kidney disease? If you or your family member is suffering from this problem, a right meal plan can help slow down the progression of your illness condition effectively.
Foods to avoid for patients with Stage 4 CKD
In stage 4, kidneys have been damaged quite severely, so they are unable to filter blood normally. Then, the following foods are more likely to worsen patients’ illness condition, so patients should avoid them.
- Too salty foods: Blood pressure and fluid retention control is very important in stage 4 kidney disease, while extra sodium intake will worsen these problems. Therefore, these patients should stay away from too salty foods and restrict their sodium intake to under 2,000 mg one daily.
- Foods are sources of incomplete protein: Incomplete protein provides fewer essential amino acids and produce more waste products to tax kidneys. Therefore, patients should choose high-quality protein as protein supplement.
- High-phosphorus foods: As glomerular filtration rate decreases, kidneys are unable to eliminate extra phosphorus efficiently. Therefore, patients should avoid or at least limit the intake of high-phosphorus foods such as chocolate, ice cram, nuts, cheese, and so on.
- High-potassium foods: Just like phosphorus, extra potassium will build up in the body, resulting in a series of problems. From this point, patients should control the intake of high-potassium foods such as banana and dried fruit.
Foods to eat for patients with Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease
Some foods may worsen patients’ health condition easily, while some other foods can help support medical therapies to strengthen patients’ therapeutic effects to some extent. They are:
- Foods with antioxidant: Antioxidant can remove free radical from the body and protect kidney functioning tissues. Vitamin C and flavonoid are common antioxidant substances, so patients can eat foods high in these nutritions.
- Foods with anti-inflammatory property: It is reported that more than 80% of kidney disease is caused by inflammatory reactions within kidneys. Therefore, these foods are helpful, for example, fish oil, flaxseed, olive oil, and so on.
- High-quality protein: Foods which are sources of high-quality protein won’t burden the kidneys and can meet patients’ protein need. From this point, patients with Stage 4 CKD should choose more these foods but the total amount should be controlled.
The above is some general suggestions for Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease diet. If you want to get a food list to eat or avoid in detail or a personal diet plan for yourself, you can describe your illness condition for the doctor online or leave your test report in the form below. We are glad to help you.
If you have been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease, we're here to help. Call us: Viber/Whatsapp:+8618233197080 or Skype:live:kidneyservice or email us: email@example.com(Monday through Sunday) to make an appointment. Or you can make a vedio consultation and get second opinion from live doctor!